Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The USS Kidd DDG100 Tour!


Last Sunday my daughter and I had a probably once in a lifetime experience - we got to tour one of the Navy's newest members of its fleet. Usually when you get to tour a fighting ship, it is one that is no longer in service and is stripped of its gear. Not so with this ship - it was loaded to the gills and ready to go off to war.

Our Galveston getaway weekend just happened to coincide with the USS Kidd's commissioning ceremony.

On Sunday we had our usual lunch at Willie G's on Galveston's Pier 21, and the USS Kidd was docked about 200 yards away. We overheard another table talking about a tour of the ship they had just finished, so I asked them if the tours were still going on. Sure enough, as soon as we had finished lunch my daughter and I walked over to the USS Kid's security checkpoint and ten minutes later we joined a group of about ten people on a tour of the ship led by one of the crew.

We were led onto the stern (brow?) of the ship and entered through one of the helicopter bays. Man, this ship is impressive and I would not want to be on the receiving end of its fury. We walked past one of the fire suppression units as our guide explained how they could battle various kinds of attacks, including nuclear and biological weapon hits. We saw the mess hall where the sailors ate, and walked through the cramped hallways that they work in. I was amazed at how much equipment was crammed in every nook and cranny, all clearly labelled and in its place. The coolest part of the trip for my daughter and I was seeing the "battle room" - a darkend room full of computers, giant screens, communication equipment, and battle stations that the Commanding Officer and crew use to fight their battles. We then walked out on the bow of the ship where we stood next to the main gun and the forward missile tubes. I didn't bring a camera since I didn't expect to be allowed to photograph anything, but we did miss an opportunity to get a photo on deck.

All in all, it was a great tour of a very impressive ship. The crew was extremely professional and obviously had great rapport with, and respect for, each other. Seeing this symbol of our mighty nation and the men and women who crew her made me proud to be an American. May God bless the USS Kidd DDG100 and her crew as they fight to defend our Nation.

No comments: